Doug believes communities are worth saving, which is why he has dedicate the last 20 years of his life to helping them find a pathway to success. He uses a straight-shooting, no-punches-pulled approach to show how attitude is the biggest factor – and roadblock – to building a successful community.
Using his vast experience working with municipal and community leaders from across North America, Doug uses powerful stories and research to drive leaders to find solutions to challenges that plague communities and prevent them from reaching their full potential in a rapidly changing world.
Based on Doug’s bestselling book, 13 Ways to Kill Your Community, the presentation is sometimes startling and often revelatory. Doug’s conversational style makes every member of the audience feel he is speaking directly to them about their own community. The anecdotes are delivered with both wit and wisdom, and in a way that ensures audience members are inspired and confident in their role to make their community, organization, or business successful.
Your audience will:
- Feel inspired and motivated;
- Find a renewed sense of ownership and responsibility toward the community in which they live;
- Recognize the challenges their community faces, and the reasons why it is challenged;
- Receive Basic tools to begin moving their community toward success
Everything is About to Change
Disruptions have impacted almost every industry, but our communities have remained relatively unchanged in the last 50 years. That will not be the case in the very near future, and simply catching up to today will not work. Technological and social changes will challenge communities, and those who are not prepared for what is coming will not prosper. You must be prepared for tomorrow now, if you want to succeed.
Your audience will:
- Feel shock about the change coming to their community;
- Understand why they and others resist change, even when it is inevitable;
- Realize the greatest challenge to their community/organization is in not being prepared;
- Give greater consideration to the opportunities created by change and how their community can take advantage of it.
13 Ways to Kill your Commerce
Following in the footsteps of the original 13 Ways to Kill Your Community presentation. This spin off tackles common mistakes we see every day in communities regarding their economic centres and chambers of commerce. Too many
businesses are not equipping themselves with the tools and education to survive this retail shift; and as a result, many businesses are throwing in the towel too early.
This presentation will spark inspiration for communities to take their business in their own hands to make the necessary changes to ensure a vibrant economic core for their future.
Topics included: online shopping data, importance of aesthetics, experience over commodity retail, building your brand and demographic data and trends to name a few.